Thursday, June 5, 2014

simplicity.

Woah. These last few weeks have been a whirlwind of craziness--from living out of a suitcase, to being in Lincoln for only 12 hours before driving down to Texas, to sleeping on an air mattress and the craziness continues. Here's my brief overview of what's been going on the last few weeks!


On Sunday afternoon, I got back from my amazing NYC study tour (see previous post). I got back only to shower, do laundry, get a good night's sleep, pack up my car and venture down to Texas with Daddio. The 10 hour drive went by fairly fast and we got down to Fort Worth in good time on Monday night. I temporarily moved into a house with some girls from TCU for the week and spent Tuesday roaming around Fort Worth with Dad. We drove around to get a feel for the town a little bit and after a much too quick visit, he headed out to Dallas to catch an early morning flight.

The first week of work I got to go to Dallas Market which is a huge building in Dallas that has hundreds of showrooms showcasing different brands and clothing lines for buyers to come shop around in. Although it was kind of a slow market, I got to really understand the brand and the product and talk to buyers about why I'm in love with the jeans. After work, I got to hang out with some of the girls that I was living with and had so much fun. College bars down here are actually super different then the "downtown" I know of (no 'Rail' in sight....thank the Lord.) There's live music, space to actually talk to people (what?!) and a ton of really great people in general.

Here is where the title of this blog comes into play. Since I've been down here, for less than two weeks, I've already learned quite a lot. The biggest thing I've learned is the lesson of simplicity. Before I came down here, I honestly didn't really know what I was getting myself into. Heck, I didn't have a place to live for a week until about three days before I was actually here. And when I did get down here, I quickly realized that I didn't know anyone. Nor am I outgoing enough to go out and meet people--I'd rather just go read by myself at a coffee shop. However, I've come to realize that you don't need to know what's going to happen every minute of every day. You don't necessarily have to be in control of everything because the Man who created you and who loves you beyond comprehension will take care of you. As I was skyping with one of my best friends back home, I came to the realization that there's a big difference between being alone and being lonely. Being down here in Texas with no family and none of my closest friends means I'm pretty much alone, doing my own thing. However, 'lonely' is one of the farthest things away from what I am. I'm not lonely at all, even though in essence I should be. But knowing that I'm living out God's will for my life at this very moment makes me so content with where I'm at and with what I'm doing.

I have no idea where I'm going to be in a year from now, but the simple answer is that I don't need to know. He knows. And that's all that truly matters. So my prayer tonight is a thanksgiving prayer, for all of the support from my parents, my sister and brother in-law, my amazing friends and all the other people in my life who have supported all of my crazy goings-on. I am truly blessed by all of the people in my life and by a God who unceasingly loves me. I cannot wait to see what this summer entails and to learn all of the lessons it may bring.


Remember, life is really quite simple.




No comments:

Post a Comment